Special Enrollment Periods

The next Open Enrollment begins November 1, 2024. You may be eligible to enroll in health insurance outside of Open Enrollment, or enroll with an earlier effective date, by qualifying for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).  

If you are losing or have lost MaineCare and have questions regarding your eligibility for CoverME.gov’s temporary Special Enrollment Period, please visit our Recently Lost MaineCare page.

Qualifying Life Events 

In order to qualify for a Special Enrollment Period you must first be experiencing or have experienced a qualifying life event. You have 60 days from the date this qualifying life event takes place to enroll in or update your insurance through CoverME.gov.  

Common Qualifying Life Events Include: 

  • Lost or will soon lose comprehensive health coverage 

  • Becoming a Maine resident 

  • Adding a dependent (through birth, adoption, or fostering a child) 

  • Getting married 

  • Getting divorced or legally separated 

These are only some of the reasons you may qualify for a special enrollment period. For a full list of qualifying life events, and important information about when your coverage will take effect, please see our full list of Special Enrollment Period eligibility criteria (PDF).

Think you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period? Follow these steps: 

  1. Create or Log In to your CoverME.gov account 

  1. Report life changes through your CoverME.gov account or by calling our Consumer Assistance Center at 1-866-636-0355 TTY: 711 

  1. Submit Application 

  1. Answer determination questions 

  1. Shop for plans! 

 For more information, visit our New Customers page. 


If you are currently enrolled in a health insurance plan through CoverME.gov you should report changes in income along with any life events immediately. 

  • If your income decreases or you gain a member of your household, you may qualify for even lower premiums. 

  • If your income increases or you lose a member of your household, you may qualify for fewer savings. If you don't report these changes, you may have to pay money back when you file your federal tax return. 

If you're a member of a federally recognized tribe or an Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder, you're eligible for enhanced benefits and protections. 

  • You can enroll anytime during the year, not just during Open Enrollment. 

  • You're also eligible for lower out-of-pocket costs when you apply for lower monthly premiums. 

See our Information for Native Americans page for more details.